Photographed by Ashley Arpel Greenwald
I created this stock to use with my Black Bean Brisket, to replace the beef stock called for in the sauce for the brisket, making it plant based, and oh so much healthier! And guess what, it worked! Guests could hardly tell the difference between the two stocks.
Use this stock when you are making a hearty plant based stew or sauce, or even when sautèeing vegetables, which totally elevates their deliciousness.
3 lbs assorted mushroom, including stems, washed:
- 1-1/2 lbs portobello mushrooms
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 1 lb button mushrooms
(can be made 3 days in advance, and refrigerate, or freeze for up to a month in advance)
Preheat oven to 325℉
- Roughly chop all of the mushrooms. Place 1/3rd of the prepared mushrooms in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove from processor and repeat with another 1/3rd of mushrooms, then the last 1/3rd.
- Place prepared mushrooms on a parchment lined ¾ full size sheet pan (21 x 15) or divide evenly on two ½ sheet pans (18 x 13)
- Place in preheated oven and roast for 20- 30 minutes, until lightly brown. Stir mushrooms every 10 minutes or so, to insure even browning.
- Transfer mushrooms to a 5 qt. Stock pot. Add enough water to cover the mushrooms by 2”.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for 1 hour.
- Strain mushrooms and the broth In a fine mesh strainer, into a 4-cup measuring cup, or large bowl, pressing on solids to release all of the liquid. Discard the mushrooms.
- Return broth to the pot and boil over high heat and cook 5-10 minutes or until reduced by ¼ to 3 cups.