This super satisfying and warming soup is perfect for the last chilly days of winter. I used a bunch of several kinds of swiss chard and kale from my garden and oh is it gooooood! These highly nutrient rich dark leafy greens are simmered in water with cubes of butternut squash then finished with caramelized onions and lots of lemon juice, making this soup an easy and quick to make, meal in a bowl!
Garden Green Soup
Garden Green Soup
Servings: 2-4 people (makes 4 cups)
- 1 large bunch of Kale
- 1 large bunch of Swiss Chard
- 4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced to ½” pieces (1 cup)
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, about 8 oz., skinned and finely diced.
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced.
- ½ tsp. Balsamic vinegar
- ½ to ¾ cup GOE veggie stock (or other no salt vegetable broth)
- ½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1-2 lemons, or to taste
- Wash greens and remove the leaves from the stems, reserving leaves. Place greens on a large cutting board along with cilantro and sliced scallions. Chop all together into small pieces, and put it all in a 5 qt pot. Pour in 3 cups of water.
- Add diced butternut squash to the pot and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for ½ hour or until butternut squash is tender.
- In the meantime, heat a small sautè pan over medium high heat for a minute or so and dry sauté the onion, letting it steam and cook, covered for a couple of minutes. Lift lid and add minced garlic, stirring to combine. Continue cooking and checking and stirring until onion is caramelized, about 20 minutes or so.
- Deglaze the pan with ½ tsp of balsamic vinegar, or more if needed.
- Add onion mixture to the soup pot and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes more to meld the flavors. If the
- soup is thick, add ½ cup or so of vegetable stock and red pepper flakes. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Place soup in a Blender and puree until smooth. Add lemon juice, taste and add more until the soup is bright tasting and delicious.
- Serve it in big bowls and sip to your health!