Photographed by Ashley Arpel Greenwald
Garden of Eydie is always imagining a world filled with the most delicious, fun, and health promoting meals and snacks. Boy oh boy do these no-bake snacks have it all. I call them Dapples because they are made with dates and apples and it’s a name kids will love and adore – and ask for more and more!
Dates are amazing for the digestive system, great for a better night’s sleep, ideal for diabetes as they deliver vital glucose to the liver. They’re high potassium to refuel the brain and muscles for super active people! Apples are anti-inflammatory. A true brain food, colon cleanser, and so much more. Oats are grain free and super satisfying!
Dapple Cookie Sandwich, Please!
Servings: 6 large cookies, or cut them in half to make 12 smaller snacks
- 1 ½ cups GF rolled oats (I used these)
- 10 medjool dates, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 2 TB coconut milk, or other plant based milk of your choice
- 1 ½ TB maple syrup
- 2 small red apples (gala, fuji, pink lady…or your favorite)
- Place the rolled oats, dates, maple syrup, coconut milk and maple syrup in the bowl of a food processor, and blend until the dough comes together. Remove the dough and form 12 balls of equal size.
- Flatten the dough pieces to about 1½-2” in diameter, about ¼”thick.
- Slice the apples into ¼” thick round slices, making 6 total slices. Using a paring knife, slice around the seeds to remove, or use a small ½” cookie cutter to press down around the seeds to remove.
- Place one slice of apple on 6 of the flattened dough pieces and add the other flattened dough pieces on top to make the dapple sandwich!
- Cut in ½ if you wish and serve on a cute plate that brings lots of joy, like these Corelle celebrations plates.