Summertime calls for a refreshing chilled soup. As I peered at my beautiful Kaffir lime tree, I noticed little Kaffir limes starting to grow. This is how Kaffir Lime Melon Soup was born! This melon soup is not only very refreshing, but it’s a little exotic too! The Kaffir lime zest and juice, and a pinch of cayenne will take you to a foreign land right here at home.
Melons are an amazing fruit filled with antioxidants and anti-aging properties. The Medical Medium says that all melons “are all keys to the palace of health, and eating melons is like getting intravenous nutrient therapy.” Melons are very hydrating, and maybe that’s why they are available in the heat of the summer. Mother earth always knows!
Chilled Kaffir Lime Melon Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling time
Servings: Serves 4 to 6
- One 3.5 – 4 lb. seedless watermelon, (about 7 cups) diced into 1- inch cubes
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 to 1 ½ TB sherry vinegar
- 5 TB fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- Zest and juice of 2 small Kaffir limes (or 1 large), about 2 tsp.
- 3 small orange and/or green fleshed melons, cut in half, seeds removed
- A handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh mint, thinly sliced
- Maldon or another flaky salt (optional)
To make the soup:
- Place diced watermelon, cayenne pepper, sherry vinegar and 5 TB lime juice in a blender and process until completely pureed.
- Pour puree through a fine-mesh strainer into a large measuring cup. Discard solids.
- Add 2 tsp. grated Kaffir lime zest from 2 small Kaffir limes, or more to taste.
Chill in a bowl of ice, or refrigerate overnight.
To make the melon balls:
- Using a 1-inch melon baller, scoop balls from the halved and seeded melons from honeydew and cantaloupe melons or other variety of melons (about 2 cups).
- Taste the chilled soup and adjust seasonings to your taste, a little more lime juice for tartness, or cayenne for spice, or Kaffir lime zest, if needed.
- Ladle a ½ cup of soup into pretty bowls. Add three melon balls and herbs to each bowl.
Nutrition Per Serving: 250 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturate fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 52g total sugar, 0g added sugar, 4g protein