Cook The Vegetables:
- Using a paring knife, poke shallow holes all over each vegetable.
Microwave: (Note: each vegetable must be microwaved separately)
- Wrap each vegetable with a paper towel.
- Microwave each vegetable separately on high for 2-3 minutes. Press with your fingers to see if the vegetable is soft. If not, turn over, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until cooked through, when squeezed gently the vegetable is soft.
- Using a dry kitchen towel, remove the very hot, cooked vegetables from the microwave and let them cool, about 10 minutes or more, they will be very hot, be careful.
Preheat oven to 400℉
Note: all vegetables can cook at the same time, but for different amounts of time depending on their size.
- Place all three vegetables on a parchment lined sheet pan to bake. The Delicata Squash will take about 20-30 minutes. The potatoes will take 40 or so minutes.
- Keep checking. The vegetables will be ready when a knife easily slides through the middle of the vegetable.
Prepare the cooked vegetables:
- For the Delicata Squash: Cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl.
- For the Sweet Potato: Remove the peel and mash with a fork until very smooth. Add maple syrup and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- For the Russet Potato: Remove the peel and mash with a fork until very smooth.
Make your Candy Corn side dish!
You can make these any size you’d like. I make them on the counter, which makes it easier to make the pieces smooth. Then transfer each section to the serving plate. Here are the measurements for the size you see in the picture:
- Start with 1 TB mashed Delicata squash and form the yellow base of the candy corn
- Next measure out 3 TB Sweet Potato and form into a triangle shape. Place on top of the yellow squash to create the candy corn triangular shape. Flatten top just a bit.
- Next add 1 tsp of Russet potato to form the triangular tip.
- Using your fingers, smooth out the candy corn. You can wet your fingers a bit to make the candy corn super smooth.
- Serve with Black Bean “cauldron” soup and Goblin Grape “eyes” and watch your kids be surprised!
Wishing you a Happy Healthy Halloween!