Photographed by Ashley Arpel Greenwald
I came up with the idea of this sandwich when I was at a Culinary conference workshop on how to present a recipe on television. The producer asked us to teach how to make a PB&J sandwich in 2 minutes, using our own ideas and point of view.
Since Garen of Eydie is all about elevating the nutritional content of our recipes, and making it elegant to eat, I came up with this idea to make an elegant hors d’oeuvre. Using almond butter, no oil or salt, and a quick homemade strawberry balsamic jelly, the old fashioned PB&J turned into an adult amuse bouche! It’s a great way to make PB&J healthier and delicious for the kids too!
Almond Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Servings: Makes 1 cup Jelly, for about 6-8 sandwiches
For The Strawberry Jelly:
- 1 TB balsamic vinegar
- 1 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 TB maple syrup, or more to taste
- 2 tsp. lemon juice, or more to taste
For The Sandwich:
Make The Strawberry Jelly:
- In a 2-3 quart saucepan, over medium heat, add the balsamic vinegar and let it simmer until slightly reduced, and a little syrupy, for just about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add in the sliced strawberries and mix to combine. Add in maple syrup and lemon juice and let simmer until the strawberries break down and the jelly starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, place mixture in a bowl, and let cool. Place in the refrigerator and let thicken for an hour or so.
- Can be refrigerated for 1 week.
Make The Hors D’oeuvre:
- Spread a thin layer of almond butter on a toasted slice of bread.
- Remove the crust
- Cut into quarters and make 2 sandwiches from the 4 pieces
- Dollop a bit of the cooled strawberry jam on top and serve.
Make Back To School Sandwiches:
- Toast 2 slices of bread
- Spread a thin layer of almond butter on one slice and jelly on the other.
- Make the sandwich and cut in half.