This recipe is inspired by French Women Don’t Get Fat by Mirelle Guiliano. She teaches us how to live the French way… to enjoy life and delicious food and drink, the healthy way. I added cinnamon, cloves and swapped out milk for almond milk to increase the nutrients for an even more delicious and nutritious breakfast. This is a great way to start your day.
1 cup gluten free rolled oatmeal
2-½ cups water
1-2 TB honey or maple syrup (optional)
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup sugar free almond milk, or make your own*
½ cup pitted prunes, chopped into small pieces
2 tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch of ground clove
- In a medium saucepan, combine the oatmeal and water and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add honey or maple syrup, if using, lemon zest and almond milk. Mix gently. Cook for another minute and add the prunes, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.
To make your own almond milk:
- Soak ½ cup raw almonds in plenty of water overnight.
- Drain and place almonds into the container of a high speed blender. Add 2-½ cup of water. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Pour liquid into a nut bag and squeeze the milk into a container.